Like most Upstate New Yorkers, I respect the Second Amendment as settled law. Anyone who has troubled to actually read the SAFE Gun Act knows the law does nothing to infringe on the right of law abiding and mentally sound New Yorkers to access and own firearms.
Congressman Tom Reed rejects this sensible legislation. On April 27, he attended and spoke at an anti-SAFE Gun rally in Horseheads where he said, “They don’t know what they stepped into up in Albany by trying to take away people’s freedom.”
Congressman Reed’s ignorance is surpassed only by the company he keeps. One proclaimed sponsor of the rally was the Oath Keepers. Oath Keepers is a right wing extremist group that encourages military personnel and peace officers to disobey “unconstitutional orders.” Its website targets as “Red Coats” individuals as centrist as retired general Stanley McChrystal and Congressman Peter King of Long Island.
Congressman Reed has embarrassed himself and his constituents by appearing at a rally where the Oath Keepers manned a booth and took such a visible role. An informed politician would know better than to keep company with such extremists. Sensible residents of the New York 23rd Congressional district will not forget the company Tom Reed keeps in November 2014.
Republican/Tea Party Default on US DebtDeadline For Congress to Raise the Debt CeilingMay 19th, 2013The big day is here.
Election Count DownElection DayNovember 4th, 201417 months to go.
- The Company Rep. Reed Keeps
- Reed Should Focus on the Real Issues
- An Angry, Frustrated Constituent, Part 2
- An Angry, Frustrated Constituent, Part 1
- MORNING NEWS: Gillibrand Voices Frustration Over Draft Farm Bill that Cuts SNAP Funding
- Reed Votes to Pay China First
- Rep. Reed’s May Town Hall Meetings Preview
- Let’s move on
- Comprehensive Tax Reform
- Ask Reed About Student Loans
- NYS Early Voting Bill–One Law Does Not Fit All
- Preparing for a Town Hall Meeting
- Where is Reed on the Budget Resolution?
- MORNING NEWS: Gillibrand Pushes for Increased Funding for Food Stamp Program
- What Does House Committee Membership Actually Represent?
- Is This A Way To Run A Democracy?
- Rep. Reed perfects the Blame Game
- Reed Could Help Ease Tax Unfairness
- Trans-Alaska Pipeline Good for Caribou Sex Lives
- Saving Social Security
Blogs I Follow
- Friend Nature
- Nevada Rural Democratic Caucus
- Women, Words, and Wisdom
- Teach Peace Now
- GoodOleWoody's Blog and Website
- The 21 Blog
- Phil Ebersole's Blog
- The Outdoor New Yorker
- WRFA-LP 107.9 FM
- The Progressive Cynic
- WordPress.com News
- 7,482 enlighten viewers since Nov. 10, 2012!