Contributed by Arthur Ahrens of Branchport, NY.
SOCIALISM!!!! Has been used for many years as a multi-purpose epithet. For those of us with short memories….
Black Lives Matter SOCIALISM!!!!
Social Security SOCIALISM!!!!
Remove Confedrate Monuments SOCIALISM!!!!
40 Hour Workweek SOCIALISM!!!!
Child labor laws SOCIALISM!!!!
One size fits all. And always from Republicans!
Now, let’s look at some items championed within the last couple of months by Republicans in Texas, North Carolina and so on…
- Ban or restrict abortion
- Limit access to voting
- Ban books they don’t like
- Retrench transgender rights
- Constrain teachers’ ability to discuss race and sexual orientation
- Install cameras in classrooms so political officials can monitor teachers’ compliance
- Remove existing restrictions on gun ownership and use
- Increase penalties for engaging in a protest
- Empower private citizens to bring lawsuits to enforce these items
To summarize it in two words, this is Authoritarian Fascism masquerading as democratic law making.
Not much different from what Mussolini did in Italy, Franco did in Spain, and the ultimate example—Germany in the 1930s (don’t want to mention the name.)
So here’s the question: What is scarier…so called Socialism or Fascism?
And why isn’t it called out for what it is?