House Democrats got their historic day. They now own the first impeachment in American history that had no bipartisan support, only bipartisan opposition. They now own the first impeachment that contains no criminal violations, only political disputes.–White House
These arguments are false:
- Because some say DJT was impeached for no good reason, impeachment of a future President for no good reason is justified.
- Impeachment of DJT betrays those who elected him, even though voters know more about him now than they did then.
- The only legitimate remedy for a corrupt President is the next election.
- A conspiracy of Republican politicians to defend a Republican President no matter what makes impeachment illegitimately partisan.
- If some have long favored impeachment, that makes it illegitimate.
- Only crimes justify impeachment.
- Giving DJT the option to defend himself presumes his guilt.
- Lies only matter if one has sworn to tell the truth.
- Laws only need be obeyed after reaffirmation by the courts.
- DJT is exonerated if not removed by the Senate.
If we are to be a nation of laws, we must reject these arguments.
Bottom line, not a single member of the GOP was able to say: Mr Trump did nothing wrong by inviting foreign influence into our elections. Although I do expect that some will now take that line.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Catch 22–every American is presumed innocent. The President can’t be tried, so can’t be proven guilty; therefore, he is innocent. As The Constitution specifically mentions crimes, and the President has not been found guilty of any crime, he can’t be impeached. What’s more (pick one):
1. The President and some others say he did no wrong, so claims that he did must be false.
2. The President is incapable of organizing a corrupt scheme.
LikeLiked by 2 people
That is the circular argument presented by the president’s defenders. Of course, if that argument holds, no president can ever be impeached for any reason.Impeachment ceases to exist.
LikeLiked by 1 person
If DJT can be impeached for reasons well documented and accepted by half of us, than a future president might be impeached for no reason at all. This is the most chilling claim. This reasoning may have led to the impeachment of Bill Clinton.