One might think Tom Reed would run on his record; evidently he can’t or thinks it better to attack his opponent with false and misleading claims and unflattering images. Is “Tracy Mitrano a risky gamble for our families?” That’s what Tom Reed’s campaign propaganda claims. His recent mailing claims Tracy Mitrano
- Tried to hide support for a national gun registry, (1)
- Supports healthcare plan that will bankrupt Medicare. (2)
- Stated that our manufacturing jobs are not worth saving. (3)
- Won’t take a position about outsourcing our jobs. (3)
- Took campaign funding from Andrew Cuomo. (4)
Tom gives these references in support of his claims:
- “Tracy Mitrano, who is running against Republican congressman Tom Reed, said she had supported the registration of all guns and licensing of gun users during her primary campaign but claimed it was not her official position during a voter forum on Aug. 18 in Waterloo, N.Y.” https://freebeacon.com/issues/new-york-dem-flip-flops-support-national-gun-registry-primary-win/
- Mitrano advocated for a single-payer system, also known as “Medicare-for-all,” saying that it would drive healthcare costs down. “Repeat after me,” Mitrano told the crowd. “A single payer system is not socialism.” https://cornellsun.com/2018/09/30/tracy-mitrano-j-d-95-emphasizes-her-appeal-to-college-students-at-town-hall-in-ithaca/
- “The question posed in the video on outsourcing did not deserve a simple yes or no answer given the complexities of our global economy,” the (Mitrano) campaign said. “The reality is, we have companies in this region that are foundational to our local economy with workers in other parts of the world. It would be irresponsible and disingenuous for a Democratic front-runner to blindly pledge without specifics. Tracy understands the complexities our local economy and knows what it takes to bring jobs to NY-23.” https://www.ithaca.com/news/democratic-leader-calls-mitrano-disqualified-to-represent-ny–she/article_15039148-7009-11e8-94b5-476052ef4796.html
- “Gov. Andrew Cuomo has formed a political action committee meant to aid Democrats in New York running in key congressional races.” http://www.nystateofpolitics.com/
If Tracy Mitrano changed her position on firearms, voters may approve of that. Changing her mind isn’t reprehensible. Tom Reed’s ambivalence on VAWA was recently documented here. Tom is not one who should complain; has Tom learned anything since kindergarten?
Mitrano supports universal, single-payer health insurance, which is not a plan which will bankrupt Medicare. Tom’s intent to defund Medicare is far more dangerous.
Mitrano did not refuse to take a position on outsourcing jobs. She does not believe any jobs are “not worth saving.” Her views are more nuanced than Toms, which is good. Every issue can’t be reduced to a sound bite.
Mitrano has collected far less from political action committees than Tom Reed. Reed criticism is blatantly unfair; it is his campaign that is awash in dark money.
Do Tom Reed’s citations justify his claims? You decide.
- The Washington Free Beacon is an American conservative political journalism website.
- nystateofpolitics is “Spectrum News,” which is biased against Governor Cuomo and perhaps other Democrats.
- There is nothing new about negative campaigning for Tom Reed. He has consistently relied on negative ads and dirty tricks.