THE AMERICAN military is holding “secret drills” as part of a “criminal plot to unleash war” claims a state controlled North Korean newspaper after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo cancelled a planned visit to the dictatorial state.
North Korea may have cause for concern. Here are events in recent history:
- Trump threatens war, says this is N. Korea’s last chance.
- Trump suddenly accepts a meeting with Kim.
- Trump declares Kim a fine fellow.
- Trump says an agreement was reached, but details are unclear.
- US cancels military drills that threaten N. Korea.
- North Korea makes some gestures; Trump says there is progress.
- US intelligence reports no change in N. Korea’s nuclear development.
- N. Korea complains that US demands are one-sided, unfair.
- Progress stalls.
North Korea might well fear that Trump’s frustration might lead to rash acts; that the next step might be warlike–at least a threat of war. The entire world might fear the same.