“When you are innocent … act like it,” Trey Gowdy
“Our recollection keeps changing” on the Trump Tower meeting–Rudy Giuliani
I have the absolute right to pardon myself–President Trump
What does Robert Mueller know and what will he do about it?
- Persons questioned by Mueller report that he knows a lot.
- Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein doubtless knows most if not all of what Mueller does.
- President Trump may not know it all, but he has reason to fear.
Rudy Giuliani claims that the only remedy for Presidential misdeeds is impeachment. Giuliani is clearly wrong, but the time is not yet ripe for that. What else might happen?
- Mueller might bide his time, while the Cohen and Manafort cases grind on.
- More Trump associates might be indicted, tried, and possibly pardoned.
- Trump himself might receive a subpoena; he might then plead self-incrimination.
- More damning information might be uncovered by the press and published.
- The Dept. of Justice might release a report. Sessions and Rosenstein most likely would be quickly fired. Congress would have to decide how to react.
I think the first item in the above list is the most likely. Mueller has no reason to rush. If the time for action is not yet at hand, there may be an opportunity later.
Some question why AG Sessions doesn’t resign. I think the answer is that he hopes to survive as AG when Trump is history.