On Tuesday, we will hear a fairy tale. Here is the real “State of the Union.”
- Doomsday clock closer to midnight.
- Looming Constitutional crisis–President suspected of obstructing justice, said to have fits of rage.
- Congress dysfunctional.
- President attacking our free press.
- Unconcern over climate change.
- Unnecessary deficit spending.
- Frequent instance of mass murder in churches, schools, and other public places.
- Threat of trade wars.
- Threatened attacks on Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare.
- Public Education under attack.
- Danger of economic collapse, environmental pollution discounted.
- Reckless repeal of regulations.
- Deteriorating infrastructure.
- Politically motivated nomination of judges with some rated “unqualified.”
- Universal health care under relentless attack.
- Economic disparity accelerating with tax cuts for the rich.
- Heartless and unnecessary attacks on immigrants.
- Nativism rampant with attacks on racial, ethnic, and religious minorities.
- Foreign interference with elections.
- Unrestricted money in politics; Koch to spend $400 million to influence elections.
Don’t be fooled; the State of the Union is not good and is getting worse. It is our responsibility to fix this; it won’t get better until we do.