“I am not a crook.”–President Richard Nixon denied any involvement in the Watergate scandal–November 17, 1973.
How might the Mueller Investigation end? One could speculate:
- It might end with a report with findings and recommendations.
- Additional persons might be indicted.
- President Trump might be named as a co-conspirator.
- President Trump might be indicted.
- President Trump might attempt to pardon others or even himself.
- President Trump might resign.
- President Trump might be impeached.
- The investigation might end leaving the country divided, the questions unresolved, and the President in office.
Unless Mueller’s findings are unequivocally damning, President Trump is likely to muddle through. Even though his blatant attempts to politicize the Department of Justice are unacceptable to many, evidence to date suggests this isn’t overwhelming. If no iron-clad case can be made, for the good of the country, perhaps this should end with 1 or 2 above.