I heard Nate Shinagawa say at the 2012 July 4th Parade in Hammondsport that you don’t need to raise the most money, but you need enough money to compete.
As of today, there are eight Democrats running for the right to oppose two Independents and Rep. Tom Reed to represent us in Congress for 2019 and 202o. On June 26, the eight Democrats will be reduced to one in the Democratic Primary.
Elections are expensive. In the history of the current NY 23rd, Nate Shinagawa (2012) was able to raise $800,000 in 10 months (with a 3 candidate primary thrown in). Martha Robertson (2014) raised $2.3 million in 18 months. John Plumb brought in $1.6 million in 15 months.
Political donors want to spend their money wisely. They are holding tight to their wallets until they know who the democratic candidate is going to be. Needless to say, it will be difficult for the primary winner, or an independent candidate to receive the amount of money in 4 months that Shinagawa received in ten.
The GOOD NEWS is that we can help replace Tom Reed. We have a group of enterprising activists in our district who have created a honest-to-goodness legal Political Action Committee (PAC), “yourNY23rd”. A PAC can’t give funds directly to a candidate; this PAC plans to spend our donations to inform voters about Rep. Reed’s positions.
How much is it worth to you to make this Reed’s last term? $10? If the all of the John Plumb voters gave $10 to the “your NY 23rd” PAC it will received $1,185,480. Think about how much they’ll receive if we give $10/month until August?
Replacing Reed will take a lot of work. Donating to “your NY23rd” is something we can do NOW.
About the PAC:
- “We are an all volunteer group – very small – fewer than 20 on the Board. From virtually every area of the 23rd District.
- Marcia Johnson Chautauqua County (Director), Tim Hayden Steuben County, Vinnie Nykiel Chemung County, and Jennifer Bertron, Treasurer, Steuben County compose the Executive Board.
- We are not associated with any candidate, group, PAC or business. Our goal is to define Tom Reed and we are multicycle.
- We are a Nonconnected Political Action Committee registered with the Federal Election Commission.”
- Website– http://yourny23.org
- email: email@example.com
- Facebook– https://www.facebook.com/YourNY23/