Wawawoowoo hasn’t been tested or proven effective, there are many dangerous side-effects, taking Wawawoowoo may cause death, so ask your doctor if Wawawoowoo is right for you.–advertising heard all too often on TV.
Americans have little use for expertise or theory, but they do love to experiment. Here are some examples:
- Climate change: Continuing to burn things may turn farmland into desert, flood our coastal cites, bring about disease, famine, and war, so let’s burn more and see if this proves true.
- Competition in medical care: If people pay for for insurance and care, medical costs will be affordable. Let’s repeal government support for medical care and see if that happens.
- Firearms: If everyone keeps a loaded gun at home and carries one when they go out, what could possibly go wrong? Let’s make it even easier for anyone to own a gun than it is now.
- Nuclear power: We know it’s safe; there has never been an accident except in Ukraine, Japan, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. Let’s build more nuclear generating plants in populated areas on known geographical faults.
- Tax cuts increase revenue: Reagan believed and tried this without success, but it’s worth a shot; let’s try that again.
- Corporate tax cuts create jobs: Economists may doubt that corporate tax cuts promote hiring, but we know better. We want “jobs, jobs, jobs,” so let’s “cut, cut, cut” and see what happens.
- Substance abuse: Why not buy some drugs from a guy at a street corner if the price is right?
- Quick and easy wars: GWB believed that a war with Iraq could be quick and inexpensive. It didn’t work in Iraq, but maybe it would somewhere else. Let’s find out.
- Proxy war: If we get someone else to fight, we can win wars on the cheap. Yeah right.
- Regulations: Government regulations hinder business, cause poverty. Let’s rescind as many as possible and see what happens.
- A person with no political experience can be elected President, so let’s try that. What could go wrong?
Are any of the above experiments unwise? Evidently many don’t think so.