Carolyn Thompson, in an article written for the Associated Press, advises on how to spot fake news. Here are her suggestions:
- Consider where it was first published?
- Is there a source?
- Is the source reliable?
- Has it been “fact checked?”
- Is it aimed at riling you up?
- Beware of satire. (The Onion, Andy Borowitz)
- Does it have the “ring of truth.”
Try these suggestions on the following:
- Obama is a Muslim.
- Obama is a Communist.
- Obama was born in Kenya.
- Hillary Clinton has cancer.
- President Obama banned the Pledge of Allegiance in schools (on an impostor web site)
- Valerie Jarrett moved into the Obama’s home to help Barack try to destroy Trump.
- Obama had Trump’s phone tapped before he became president.
- Activists marching with signs are paid by George Soros.
- The Trump campaign conspired with Russians.
Are any of the above believable? Ask yourself why.
Note: I can’t find a link to Carolyn Thompson’s original article which appeared in the Elmira Star-Gazette, but you can search it up if you are interested.