I care about your opinions and will continue to work to find common ground so that we can solve the problems of our country together.–Tom Reed
Trump opens Pandora’s box and as Tom Reed looks on smiling, furies fly about: racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and cruel indifference to common human needs.
- Trump’s Muslim ban has loosed the fury of religious intolerance: desecration of cemeteries, and attacks on religious institutions are, as Trump says, intolerable, but his loose talk is responsible.
- Trump’s immigration orders repeat the mistakes of his travel ban. Images of people being arrested don’t reflect American norms of compassion and fair play. Hasty, cruel, radical it will likely be challenged in the courts. How much better if House leadership had allowed a vote on the Senate immigration reform bill.
- Trump’s talk threatens our free press. As John McCain warned, attacks on the press often presage dictatorship.
- The Trump Administration imperils Social Security and affordable health care. His claim that Obamacare is a disaster and can be easily replaced with a better plan is folly
- The Trump Administration threatens public education by appointing Betsy DeVos, whose antipathy is well known.
- Trump’s misogynist views devalue and endanger women.
- Trump’s ideas on world trade threaten a worldwide trade war benefiting none.
- Trump’s ignorance of economics threatens worldwide recession according to Paul Krugman.
- Trump’s militarism coupled with well documented indifference to the consequences of his action threaten disastrous wars.
What “common ground” can Tom Reed hope to find while he clings to abhorrent ideas such as the above?