Word Salad–a confused or unintelligible mixture of seemingly random words and phrases, specifically (in psychiatry) as a form of speech indicative of advanced schizophrenia.
Tom Reed is noted for word salads–incoherent jumbles of words and phrases. Newt Gingrich’s pronouncements are similar. According to news reports:
Newt Gingrich says that he thinks Donald Trump is a “necessary candidate” who reflects a global anti-establishment sentiment, but that he wouldn’t automatically say yes to an eventual proposal to become Trump’s running mate.
- What is a “necessary candidate?”
- Why should a candidate reflect global anti-establishment sentiment? Trump may not be an establishment candidate, but Gingrich who was Speaker of the House surely is.
In an interview Saturday with The Associated Press, the former House Speaker also said a test should be devised to check the safety credentials of Syrian refugees based on Sharia, or Islamic law.
- What are “safety credentials?”
- Whatever they are, why should a test be based on “Islamic law?”
Here Gingrich, seemingly without justification, inserts the buzz phrase “Sharia law.”
“It’s a very important way to vet Muslims if you believe in Western civilization,” he said.
- What is an important way to vet Muslims?
- What is a belief in Western civilization and what does that have to do with “vetting Muslim refugees?
If Gingrich’s words were reported accurately, his pronouncements are as cryptic as Tom Reed’s. Here is an example of Tom Reed’s work:
“We have grave concerns about these recommendations. Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey clearly outlined how Hillary Clinton compromised confidential information, putting many American lives at risk. The message is clear: Hillary Clinton is part of the Washington, DC political establishment, an elite protected class that is above the law. This double standard is unacceptable and unfair to the American people. We care about the American people, which is why we will continue to fight for changes within Washington, DC and are calling on the Department of Justice to bring charges against Hillary Clinton to ensure consequences for her dangerous behavior.”
- What “double standard?” Does he imagine HRC is the only member of an “elite protected class?”
- What changes within Washington does Tom have in mind?
- Why should the Justice Department bring charges that are unjustified?
- If the Department of Justice did bring charges, how would that “ensure consequences?” Does Tom assume she would be found guilty? A lawyer, does he understand the “presumption of innocence?”
- What “consequences” does Tom Reed advocate?
From Tom’s words, it appears that he has no use for Hillary Clinton. One wonders why? If elected, HRC might prove a very good President; Tom Reed gives no reason for his evident animosity. Tom might well have reason to doubt the presumed GOP candidate’s competence, but in that case his standards are shockingly low and he is mostly silent.