James Hare, writing in the Elmira Star-Gazette, asks interesting questions about Tom Reed’s support for Donald Trump. http://www.stargazette.com/story/opinion/2016/06/21/guest-viewpoint-reed-trump/86183120/
- Does he believe President Barack Obama is sympathetic to terrorists?
- Does he believe we should ban all Muslims from entering the country?
- Does he believe a person’s ancestry determines his ability to function as a judge or, for that matter, in any other position?
- Does he believe we should not ban assault weapons and close gun show loopholes?
- Does he believe his mentor should release his tax information for public scrutiny and stop the audit dodge?
- Does he support building a wall across our border with Mexico? If so, how does he plan to pay for it?
- Does he accept the Trump stereotyping of Mexican immigrants?
- Does he believe there is no drought in California?
While James Hare’s questions are good, I would add some of my own:
- Does Reed understand and respect the Constitution? Trump says he would do what is clearly unconstitutional–religious discrimination is an example.
- Does Reed believe in unconstrained executive power? As Trump says, “Leave it to me.”
- Does Reed work toward justice for all, or would he discriminate against some Americans as Trump says he would?
- Does Reed agree that the ability of the press to criticize candidates as Trump does? The Constitution guarantees a free press.
- Does Reed believe that Republican politicians like himself should “shut up.”
Reed seems to seek political advantage by linking John Plumb with President Obama and Hillary Clinton. Does he not understand that Clinton and Obama are probably more respected in NY-23 than either Donald Trump or himself? There is nothing respectable about dirty tricks and fake websites; there is nothing honorable about promoting fear.