A letter in the April 6 (Dundee) Observer started with:
“It was so disappointing to read Congressman Tom Reed has endorsed a megalomanic (one who has infantile feelings of personal omnipotence) like Donald Trump for the high office of president of the United States.
The author states that he has been:
- lifelong Goldwater Conservative Republican
- a local officeholder elected 8 times as a Republican
- former county chair of Republican Party
He went to point out what Trump has done in his campaign that shows that “he is a disgrace to all decent men and women who call themselves Republicans.”
- Trump insulted many groups (women, immigrants, law-abiding Muslims and more)
- Trump has a lack of understanding of foreign policy by suggesting that South Korea and Japan develop nuclear weapons
- Trump insulted a true American hero of the Vietnam War
- said he would illegally order our military to use torture
He summarized his feelings by saying that Trump:
- is not conservative
- not a true Republican
- could destroy the “Grand Old Party”
and ends his letter by saying, “I hope Reed will stop and rethink his endorsement of Trump…he has made a big mistake by endorsing Trump.”
The author of the letter probably didn’t see the Salamanca Press’ article “Reed Sticking with Trump” which reported that Reed explained why he is sticking with Trump, “With Trump getting a majority of the delegates, I think he’s the better candidate.”
To be accurate, Donald Trump does not have a majority of the delegates. According to Politico’s Delegate Count-Tracker,–Trump has 749. the other candidates have 870. Trump can not even have a majority of the delegates if he wins all 95 New York delegates.
The real message Reed is telling the lifelong Goldwater Conservative Republican and others, is that it is acceptable to insult certain segments of our society and military heroes; it benefits the United States to promote more nuclear counties and to disregard international laws.
The author of the letter didn’t realize that Reed is a Co-Chairman of Trump’s Leadership Team. Trump needs Reed and Reed needs Trump. Reed will not rethink his endorsement of The Donald.
How many conservatives will Reed disappoint?