Rep. Tom Reed has created an attack ad against his only announced opponent, John Plumb who grew up in Randolph (Cattaraugus County), and has posted it on the Internet. Reed’s early political ads have historically been aimed to negatively define his opponent with Reed’s personal political spin. This one is fits the bill.
Does Reed attack Plumb on his issues? Of course not.
This ad, called “John Plumb–Home” contains still-pictures with simple animation. It states: “Democrat John Plum is running for Congress, and New Yorkers are wondering where he’s been.” It goes on to show two locations outside new York State where Plumb lived after he graduated from high school, mixed with questionable “facts” about Plumb’s political actions. The ad is critical of residents born in our congressional district and were raised with our values, who leaves to get an education and then serves our country in the military.
The ad contains the following claims:
- In Washington Plumb was a “Top Advisor to Barack Obama”.
Reed is trying to cast Plumb as a liberal and to shore up his Internet Friends. I guess Rep. Reed doesn’t understand that true Patriots understand that it is an honor to be asked to serve the President and that when the President asks you to serve, you serve.
- “In Colorado Plumb worked for a Liberal Senator and sent money to Obama’s campaign”.
Notice that Reed didn’t name the “Liberal” Senator that John Plumb worked for. Reed was referring to Colorado Senator Ken Salazar, who asked Plumb to work for him in the Senate as his Military Legislative Advisor. Again, Reed is painting a Plumb as a Liberal, but Senator Salazar was far from being Liberal, and Reed knows it. Sen. Salazar said, “Too often in Washington special interests urge us to fight one another just because we belong to different parties. It is time for this to stop and for Washington to focus on what needs to be done.” Maybe Plumb remembered Salazar’s quote when he said in September, “If I felt the area was being represented well, I don’t care if someone’s a Republican or a Democrat, I would not be part of this race. But I think this district should do better, and I think I can offer a viable alternative and show some actual leadership.”
- In New York John Plumb had Nancy Pelosi Campaign Team to introduce him to reporters.
What is he talking about? Does Nancy Pelosi have a Campaign Team stationed in New York rubbing elbows with the Press? Of course not. Reed is again trying to paint Plumb as an evil Liberal.
- Extreme Ithaca Liberals donated to his campaign funds.
Reed got out the Liberal paint brush again. Doesn’t he realize that Ithaca is in our district? Do you think he took time to figure out which of Plumb’s donors are “Extreme Liberal”? Oh, by the way, Reed also received donations from residents of Ithaca.
What should scare the constituents of the our Congressional District is that 63% of Reed’s donations for the 2016 campaign have come from Political Action Committees (PACs), and 37% from Individuals. The Federal Elections Commission reports that 16% of John Plumb’s donations came from PACs, and 84% came from individuals.
What Rep. Reed didn’t tell us in the Attack Ad:
- Reed neglected to add that John Plumb also lived in South Bend, Indiana when he attended the University of Notre Dame on a U.S. Navy ROTC scholarship.
- Plumb lived in Colorado when he earned his Master of Science in Physics Degree from the University of Colorado (1993).
- After Plumb received his Master’s Degree, he joined the Navy as a Commissioned Officer, and was on active duty for more than 6 years. He spent close to three ofthose years on the fast attack submarine USS San Juan. Plumb spend 28 straight days under the ice in the Arctic, and received the Arctic Service Ribbon.
- Plumb left Active Duty, but continues his service in the Navy Reserves where he currently serves as commanding officer for the Maritime Operations Center reserve detachment in Newport, RI.
- He lived again in Colorado in 2003 when he earned his Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering.
- Plumb also served the country by working in the Senate (for Sen. Salazar), the Pentagon, and the White House. He took a one-year break to deploy to Kuwait, supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Plumb qualifies as an expert on pistol and sharpshooter on rifle.
- Plumb has been recognized for his public service from three different departments during his time in Washington having been awarded the:
- the Office of the Secretary of Defense Exceptional Public Service Award
- the Department of State Superior Honor Award
- the Secretary of Energy Achievement Award
Rep. Reed claims to support Veterans:
“Today we honor the servicemen and women who have protected our freedom and defended our nation. We thank them for their service, dedication, and commitment to ensure that we may enjoy our everyday lives in a free country.” Rep. Tom Reed’s Veterans Day Newsletter, November 2015
How can we believe what Rep. Reed says about Veterans when he dismisses John Plumb’s honorable service to our country? Instead of disregarding Plumb’s service, Reed should be explaining to us how we have benefited from the bills and programs passed by the Congress.
Update (12/1/15) Plumb responds to Reed’s Attack