Cuomo OKs Special Prosecutor–Reed Disapproves

Governor Andrew Cuomo recently announced that Attorney Eric Schneiderman  would AG EricShave the power to appoint Special Prosecutors in cases where an unarmed person is killed by a law enforcement officer.  Cuomo had to use an Executive Order for this, since the legislature failed to agree on a bill would create that position. The majority leaders of the Senate and Assembly were with Cuomo at his announcement. This appointment is to last for one year.

“We were working on a piece of legislation. I don’t believe the best approach is to have one special prosecutor for the entire state. We were close to reconciling them (the legislation). This isn’t horseshoes. The buzzer went off, and we’ll work on it next year.” It should be noted that in the past 15 years there have been 179 fatalities involving NYC Police. Only three cases led to indictments—and one conviction.

With well known homicide cases involving Police Officers  and unarmed victims in Ferguson, Cleveland, Baltimore, Charleston, and Staten Island in less than a year, creating a Special Prosecutor would put a space between the accused police officer and the officers/investigators working on the case. It makes sense to have a Special Prosecutor in placed.

How did Congressman Reed react to Governor Cuomo’s move for to restore confidence in the criminal justice system? Radio station WLEA from Hornell had an interview with Reed on Saturday (June 27) and asked him about the Governor’s appointment. Reed’s response:

“I stand with Law Enforcement. I have talked with these men and women. I’ve met with their families. The bad apples are there, sure. Let’s not lose sight of the 99.9% of them that are good hard working men and women fellow Americans doing a tough job. Let’s not say they are all bad. That’s where I’m concern the Governor is going. A lot of these other prosecutors are going. They are looking to get a scalp in a group of employees that honorably serve us who put their lives at risk. I’m going to stand with law enforcement because they are the ones doing the yeoman work to keep us safe.”

Hopefully the Attorney General won’t have to use his newly acquired power. The fact that New York State has a plan in case the worst happens is important.  It’s sad that Rep. Reed refuses to even acknowledge that Governor Cuomo’s announcement is admirable. Matter of fact, Reed found this as an  opportunity to dive to  despicable depths of disrespect by contenting that the Governor is “looking to get a scalp” of law enforcement officers. Reed has nothing to base that statement on–except his own biases. That statement tells us volumes about Rep. Reed’s political agenda.

Reed’s supporters generally despise Governor Cuomo because he has stepped on the toes of the gun lobby and the oil/gas industry to promote safety in New York State. Rep. Reed is a politician who needs to remind his political base that he stands with them against the evil Governor Cuomo.

The middle of the road, common sense NY 23rd constituents appreciate the work our Governor has done to protect us. Rep. Reed could at least praise the plan (Special Prosecutor) even if he can’t praise the planner (Gov. Cuomo).

About pystew

Retired Teacher, political science geek, village trustee. I lean a little left, but like a good political discussion. My blog, the New NY 23rd (http://newny23rd) is about discussing the issues facing the people of our new congressional district. Let's hear all sides of the issues, not just what the candidates want us to hear.
This entry was posted in Constituents, Gun Violence, Protests, Reed's Views and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Cuomo OKs Special Prosecutor–Reed Disapproves

1. Barbara Griffin says:

Good for Governor Cuomo…step in the right direction. I have no words (that I can print) for Tom Reed.

Can Tom really believe that only an over zealous prosecutor would charge an officer with a crime? Surely he is kidding.

3. Deb meeker says:

Rep. Reed seems to have a rather twisted way of looking at a Special Prosecutor’s role as pertains to police actions. Reed says he fears Gov. Cuomo wants to use a SP to make all police officers look bad? Are we to just overlook those “few bad apples” in order to not step on the toes of the 99% whom he deems irreproachable?
    One of my sons is in corrections. Poorly trained and lawbreaking police do not help my son – they do the opposite. We have heard of the work being done to create better and more sustaining police/community relations. We have also heard of the conflicted role prosecutors have between needing police co-operation – while the prosecutor also has to investigate police. A special prosecutor can alleviate some of that conflict, and serve both the police and the community in a fairer process.
    it’s not at all surprising that Rep. Reed would rail against his nemesis – Gov. Cuomo. What is surprising, is that Reed would use such convoluted shortsightedness in his explanation for why.

Reed may stand with law enforcement, but I stand with Law, and that includes prosecuting police who behave badly.

5. Tom says:

Just curious.

You say,” The middle of the road, common sense, NY 23td constituents appreciate the work our governor has done to protect us”

Please cite to us the poll of NY 23rd constituents supporting Cuomo on this issue that substantiates that assertion.

I’d like to trust your veracity, but I believe in “Trust, but verify”.

Thanks, Tom,

When I wrote that statement I didn’t have data to back it up; I used my experience and gut feelings. Of course any poll wouldn’t define or couldn’t find “common sense” people, so that might have given readers a hint that my statement was antidotal.

Since you asked, I found the following data on Fracking and the SAFE Act. They use the broad category “Upstate” not “NY 23rd”.

Quinnipiac Poll Fracking

12/22/14

Approval of the governor’s fracking ban is 56 – 30 percent upstate, 56 – 19 percent in New York City and 52 – 27 percent in the suburbs.

Because of the fracking ban, 33 percent of voters think more favorably of Cuomo, while 16 percent think less favorably and 44 percent say the decision makes no difference.

“It’s a clean sweep, but not a big sweep, for Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s decision to ban fracking in New York State. None of the groups we list is opposed, but the long-awaited decision barely moves the job approval needle, although his disapproval does go down,” said Maurice Carroll, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

Gun Safety

Kiley & Company Opinion Research April 14-16, 2015

These are all Upstate Numbers
    Requiring Background Checks for all gun sales…81 to 18
    Pistol Permits are mow revoked for anyone who has an order of protection against them: Agreed 78 to 18

Renew Pistol Permits every 5 years…66 to 32

Ban on Military-style assault weapons 67 to 29

Background checks required for ammunition sales 56 to 44

Banning High-Capacity Ammunition Magazines (more than 7) 52 to 45

There has been no polling date for the Special Prosecutor action.

If you a study uniquely for the NY 23rd I would like to see it. It would be better if it should how the different political leanings affect the data. You do realize that I spoke of middle of the road residents.

7. Robert Kriegar says:

Well I, for one, certainly approve. This is good, common sense, legally logical legislation. The police have been put above the law, and they are not above the law.

Of course Reed disagrees. One would expect nothing less. I also stand with law enforcement-the 99.9% of good officers. One bad one ruins the reputation of entire departments-particularly when they are in supervisory positions. And I challenge that 99.9% number-I need citation. I don’t trust Reed, and would certainly want that verified. I have known police officers who were bad, and we are all aware of a certain one here. I have also known good ones who were prevented from doing there jobs by politics. An officer should not have to risk his pension to do the right thing.