Tom never made much use of his official website “reed.house.gov.” Lately, there are even more signs of indifference and neglect:
- As of March 12, 2015 the bill search feature doesn’t recognize the current Congress: the 114th.
- The daily schedule feature and event archive have disappeared.
- The link to Tom’s financial disclosures is gone.
- The news feature is infrequently updated.
- Tom hasn’t posted an OP ED since June, 2014.
Tom once occasionally commented on his official facebook page, but his comments have not been seen there in many months:
- He has allowed his official page to become a cesspool for offensive postings created by third parties.
- Comments that violate his stated standards as well as common decency are allowed to remain.
- Among Tom’s postings, photo ops predominate.
- Explanations of his controversial votes posted on his campaign page are not seen on his official page.
Tom continues to use his “campaign” facebook page as a propaganda outlet.
- Unlike his official page, his campaign page is regularly monitored.
- Comments by constituents are regularly deleted.
- Many constituents are blocked from posting or commenting there.
Tom lauds his many townhall meetings saying he welcomes his constituent’s views, but there is little evidence of that:
- Most meetings are scheduled in small rural venues.
- Meetings are announced to a restricted audience by mail or other means in advance of public announcement.
- Meetings are publicly announced at the last minute.
- Questions are usually screened.
- Tom often mocks constituents who express views that differ from his.
- At Penn Yan, a constituent had to ask that his question be read. At Portland, sidekick Joe ended the questioning when Reed got in too deep.
- Tom now finds it necessary to have law officers present at his meetings.
- Tom seldom if ever acknowledges anything he might have learned at these public meetings.
Constituents who receive advance notice of meetings, attend Tom’s meetings, or are blocked from his facebook pages are invited to post an account on New NY 23rd.
© William Hungerford – March 2015