Oath of office

Doesn't know much about Social Security, may not want to learnI do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

This has the ring of the cold war. I think it should be revised.  Here is my suggestion:

I do solemnly swear that I will promote justice for all and the general welfare by acting in the public interest. That I will accept no contributions other than from individual constituents. That I will give my constituents my honest services rather than acting for partisan interests, special interests, or self-interest.

If Congress would adopt my oath, our country might be a better place.

© William Hungerford – January 2015

This entry was posted in Congress, Constituents, Political, Reed's Views. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Oath of office

I like it.

Thanks.

How about:” I promise to try to do good.”

Yes, your oath has the ring of true service, and would therefore never be considered.
    Even if the original were followed faithfully – especially the “against all enemies, foreign and domestic” part, we might see action by Representatives against war criminals, cheating American banks, and, polluting corporations might just become liable for their destruction.

5. Barbara Griffin says:

I like it, too, William. If these “Christian” representatives truly believed in the “So help me God” part…they might realize they may be paving a path to Hell.

6. BOB McGILL says:

do you think that after lying thru their teeth to get elected, that an oath really means anything ? 🙂

Bob. It almost hurts me to say that I am forced to agree with you for the first time ever. At least about some of the elected officials.

Note of clarification: Article VI. of the Constitution explicitly requires a promise to support the Constitution.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

The Constitution specifies an oath for the President separately (Article II, Section 1.):

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Tom Reed and others have signed several “oaths” since taking office. The SCOPE Act Pledge, the Grover Norquist Pledge, and the No Labels Pledge are a few examples. Certainly one would expect the pledge to support the US Constitution would come above all, but one must admit, Tom Reed rarely has his priories in order and it appears neither do most Republican/ Tea Party/Conservatives anymore.