- There are more Republican moderates in Congress than before.
- Speaker Boehner’s position is stronger than ever.
- No far-right members will serve as committee chairs.
- Tea Party influence is waning.
- The GOP will move steadily toward the center in hopes of further electoral success.
- The GOP is certain select a moderate candidate for President, most likely Jeb.
Far-out presidential wannabes–Paul, Huckabee, Cruz, Rubio, Perry, Santorum, Carson–are dreaming; their opportunity, if it ever existed, is past. Those chattering about replacing Rep. Boehner as Speaker are blowing smoke. It is astonishing that so many of Tom Reed’s constituents, who urge him not to vote for John Boehner, fail to recognize Tom as a relatively liberal Republican, a party loyalist firmly in Boehner’s camp.
© William Hungerford – January 2015