“People react to fear, not love.” —Richard M. Nixon
Remember the Safe Act?
From the day the SAFE Act was passed New York State Republicans realized it was a great gift from Governor Cuomo. They quickly seized the opportunity to use their political skills to develop it into the issue that a large portion of the population would passionately oppose.
Right winged groups created the atmosphere of fear. It was easy for the Pro-Gun and Anti-Government websites to get their member riled-up. SCOPE sold “Repeal The SAFE Act” signs, to a tune of $7 each, which publicized their anger at the Governor. Conservative talk radio personalities flared the fire of discontent. Elected officials, including congressional representatives (often lawyers), county sheriffs and legislators declared the ACT was unconstitutional. (Too bad that State and Federal judges do not agree.)
The Republican message of the government confiscating firearms was powerful. Although Governor Cuomo was re-elected, the Republican campaign of fear was effective in motivating normally reluctant voters to vote. The results increased the republican representation in congress by: defeating incumbent Dan Maffei in the NY-24, turning the NY 21 from blue to red by electing newcomer Elise Stefanik for an open seat, nearly defeating 14 termed Louise Slaughter (50.2%-49.8, less than 600 votes) in the NY 25, keeping Chris Collins (NY 27), Tom Reed (NY 23) and unopposed Richard Hanna (NY 22) in office. Democratic incumbents representing urban areas, Brian Higgins (NY 26–Erie County) and Paul Tonko (NY 20–Albany) kept their seats.
Below is a map of the state showing how each county voted in the Governor’s race: Cuomo (Blue) or Astorino (Red). If you follow the link to Politico, you can see how large the margin of victory in each county.
On Friday, October 17, an email was forwarded to me titled “UNSAFE ACT 2”. It originated from the Finger Lakes Tea Party. The email, which is a copy of an article on the Bullet First website, declares, “Cuomo To Sign SAFE ACT 2 Into Law If He Gets Reelected.” I received it 18 days before the election.
The article states that the “framework is all ready in place for the passage of SAFE ACT 2” The email/article does not name sources of the information they presented. It continues, “Here are the 10 key points of SAFE ACT 2 that will punish law abiding citizens, legal businesses and in general diminish the sparse amount of liberty that remains in the increasingly appropriate named ‘Empire State’ .” (The link to the Bullet First site, above, gives more details, including the author’s opinions on each topic.)
- Safe Storage of weapons in a safety locking device.
- Microstamping— Requires all semiautomatic pistols would produce a unique code on each cartridge case expelled.
- Fifty Caliber Ban (Bans the possession, sale or transfer of 50-Caliber or larger weapons).
- Gun Dealer Insurance- requiring that every dealer carry insurance coverage against liability (at least $1 million per incident) for damage to property and for injury or death of any person resulting from the sale.
- Prohibits the sale or transfer in NY of guns that are not child proof. Each gun would need to have a childproofing device, which would prevent an average five-year-old from operating it.
- 30 Day Limit on Gun Purchases— Prohibits a person from purchasing more than one fire arm from a dealer within a 30 Day period.
- 10 Day Waiting Period on Gun Purchases
- Ammunition Code—similar to Microstamping except this will pertain to ammunition for handguns and assault weapons.
- Mandatory Insurance For Gun Owners
- Reduces Pistol Permits from 5 years to 2 years
In other words the SAFE ACT 2 would contain items that have been talked about for years and many have been in placed in other states.
I assumed that this was sent to rally the troops for the election. Could this also be the first step to keep the furor alive for the next two years? After all the anti-SAFE Act rhetoric influenced the 2014 election outcome so well for the republicans, why give it up now?