A postcard from the National Association of Realtors® explains that Tom Reed, who lives in the house he was raised in, is protecting the American Dream for middle class families. Pictures of a happy, middle class family and a well-maintained home illustrate the message. One reads:
- Tom Reed believes in the power of America’s hometowns and their role in America’s past, present, and future.
- Tom Reed is looking out for America’s middle class families and helping those who are struggling through tough economic times.
The card doesn’t mention that Tom opposed extending UI, proposes to cut SS benefits, and voted to reduce SNAP funding. It does explain that Tom is working to:
- Protect NY homeowners by “working to make sure families who have to sell their homes aren’t paying taxes on income they never see.”
- Tom will never stop fighting to protect the state and local property tax deduction …
- Tom has supported responsible and thoughtful cuts to the Federal budget…
Tom may have promised the realtors that he will protect the property tax deduction, but he hasn’t explained that to his constituents yet. The cuts that Tom supported are more draconian than “responsible and thoughtful.” Better that Tom were working to help people keep their homes.
© William Hungerford – October 2014