Reed Is Wrong on Obamacare

Time and again, our congressman, Rep. Tom Reed, has voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act or hinder its implementation. He’s in denial about a very important reality: Obamacare is working.

Eight million people, including 962,000 New Yorkers, have signed up for private health insurance through the exchanges. Gallup estimates that overall, 12 million people have gained access to affordable care since the fall, including new enrollees in Medicaid and those who purchased insurance outside the exchanges. Three million young people have been able to stay on their parents’ health insurance plan until age 26.

President Obama pointed out last week that the Congressional Budget Office has lowered its initial estimate of cost of premiums on policies purchased through the exchanges by 15 per cent.  Reforms under the Affordable Care Act have cut the rate of increase in premiums for employer-provided insurance in half.  Medicare costs per person have nearly stopped growing. and the life of the Medicare Trust Fund has been extended by ten years.

Would Reed and his fellow Republican proponents of repeal take away health insurance from those who have newly gained it? Would they return us to the day when Americans with pre-existing conditions could be denied insurance? When the insured could face lifetime caps on the amount insurance companies would pay, or when deductibles and co-payments could be unaffordably high? They are offering no alternative to Obamacare, so that when they vote for repeal that’s what they’re voting for.

Twenty-four states where Republicans are in control or have a veto have refused to expand Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act, even though they could do so at no cost. As a result, 5 million Americans who could be covered are being denied insurance. This cruelty shows where the Republican heart lies.

Over at his campaign website, Rep. Reed is demanding that Martha Robertson explain her support of the Affordable Care Act. He’s the one who has some explaining to do.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Reed Is Wrong on Obamacare

If you look at his own website in the section about the “Issues” you will see that he actually supports most of the specifics of the ACA. It is kind of funny. The only thing he would change would be “tort reform”. I don’t blame him. After all, it is a rousing success. Bottom line for the GOP…They want the specifics of the ACA, but it’s Obamacare that they hate.

2. BOB McGILL says:

My co-pays have tripled, there is a 2 thousand dollar deductable were I had no deductable before, I am one of the supposed 12 million but I had insurance before. Lots of people were able to keep their kids on their policy before. Come on lets not exaggerate ! 🙂

Perhaps you aren’t good at finding the best deal in the market, Bob.

Yes, but ACA extends coverage to more Americans, holds down future cost increases, plugs the Republican Part D doughnut hole, and offers many other benefits that Tom ignores.

Bob. This website is a good place to start. You might find a better deal for yourself. Good luck……..http://obamacare-help.com/obamacare-state-exchanges/obamacare-new-york/

6. BOB McGILL says:

But I don’t qualify for all the freebees ! There are hundreds of self employed in the same plan, I let them do the shopping for me. The only better deal has a $5000.00 deductible 🙂

7. BOB McGILL says:

perhaps the BEST DEAL was what I had before 🙂 , but now I have to help pay for all the people who didn’t have insurance, REMEMBER !!

8. Barbara Griffin says:

I’ve worked in the health profession for over 40 years, and have been fortunate to have health insurance benefits. During many of those years, including the present, I worked for self-employed physicians…and every year, the cost of premiums went up. Due to the ACA, our office recently changed policies, and my premium actually went DOWN for the first time in 40 years. Seriously, Bob, it might pay to shop around a bit more.

9. Susan says:

NYS has navigators for the ACA in every county…something Reed fails to tell his constituents

10. BOB McGILL says:

I have a very good friend who was a VP for BCBS, and is still quite active, besides I get my insurance thru the CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Why is it that ” you people ” think that you are the only ones that know anything ?

11. BOB McGILL says:

I could have reduced my premium too, if I picked a policy with a $5000.00 deductable ! 🙂

We can’t help ourselves. It is a problem with liberals. We just like to help people. Did you check the NY exchange and get a navigator or just go directly through the Chamber of Commerce? I know my insurance (group policy from work) costs about $13,000 per year for 2 people). Hopefully yours in in that ballpark.

13. BOB McGILL says:

$ 5464.00 for one

14. BOB McGILL says:

By Tyler Hartsfield and Grace-Marie Turner

By our count at the Galen Institute, more than 40 significant changes already have been made to ObamaCare: at least 22 that the Obama Administration has made unilaterally, 16 that Congress has passed and the president has signed, and two by the Supreme Court.
    Apr 8, 2014 … By our count at the Galen Institute, more than 40 significant changes … delay: By
    an administrative action that’s contrary to statutory language in the ACA … 2014
    and again until March 15, 2014, and again until April 30, 2014 to …

That is a great price.

Good point. Mr Obama has once again followed his constitutional duty…to faithfully execute the law. Part of that duty is to make intelligent adjustments and , if necessary, allow for more time for various parts of a given law to be fully implemented. To do otherwise would be to violate his oath of office. I am glad that instead of blindly going forward he has the common sense to adjust as needed. It is good to see that even a conservative organization like the Glen Institute recognizes that.