The first letter presented has recently been published three times in three local newspapers–the Penn Yan Chronicle-Express, The (Dundee) Observer and the Finger Lakes Times (Geneva).
The second letter presented was published soon after the first in each paper. It looks at each “claim” made and responded with a “fact” or “facts”.
We Can’t Let Destruction of our Values Continue
To the Editor:
For 4 1/2 years President Obama has succeeded in blaming everyone else in Washington for his deliberate lack of leadership. During the two-week “shutdown” he stonewalled every attempt by the House Republicans to fund everything in government without issue except the controversial Obamacare. He reiterated how he would reopen the government as soon as he got his way. Meanwhile, he opened it enough to erect barriers everywhere possible to harass and hurt the public.
At a press conference Obama blamed Republicans for his own brinkmanship. He acknowledged such shenanigans had reduced America’s credit status, emboldened our enemies, and endangered our standing as one of the best 10 places in the world to invest. Obama sounded as if he was an innocent bystander, doing his best for the American people when he is really the extremist who has no intention of negotiating with any political opposition.
At the end he positioned himself for a repeat performance by enumerating his next agenda. He pretended to want:
1. A balanced Congressional response to ensure creditable budget certainty to encourage business and job growth. At the same time he demanded closing of tax loopholes on big business. In fact that would be taking away the very profits that entrepreneurs could otherwise use to create more jobs. Obama has to demonize American entrepreneurs, the very engine of job growth and prosperity. He failed to note that he had not presented a budget, ever.
2. Fix a broken immigration system. That sounds good; he really means to allow unlimited numbers of illegals to become voters with the inevitable overload and breakdown of the U.S. social service and health care systems.
3. Pass a farm bill and protect needy adults and children. Eighty percent of the farm bill is used for supplemental nutrition, food stamps and WIC. The ubiquitous EBT cards are used by clients. Certainly it was hunger that drove the needy in Louisiana to run up thousands of dollars when they discovered the limit didn’t show on their EBT cards so they could steal all they wanted.
Finally, Obama wanted Congress to focus on what is good for the American people (hardly compatible with his three points above). How long will the electorate allow this destruction of the Constitution and traditional American values to continue?
Our country may withstand another three years of a failed presidency, but how long can it survive a naïve, gullible or uncaring electorate? Wake up Americans! Your freedom is being taken from you in the false names of health, safety, diversity and compassion!
Can America Survive with an Uncaring Electorate?
To the Editor:
In a Nov. 15 letter headlined “We can’t let destruction of our values continue,” the writer made some claims that beg to be answered with facts because I agree, we can’t (to use her words) “ … survive a naïve, gullible, or uncaring electorate.”
Claim: President Obama has not presented a budget, ever.
Claim: Closing tax loopholes demonizes entrepreneurs and takes away profits that would be used for job creation:
Fact: Some of the largest corporations (General Electric, Wells Fargo) pay NO taxes. This travesty is possible because of loopholes created by lobbyists and exploited by corporate tax experts. There is no evidence to suggest that corporations create American jobs with their “saved” tax money.
Below are two of the most egregious corporate tax loopholes:
• Corporations can deduct moving expenses, even when they are moving operations overseas. President Obama proposes ending this exemption for companies moving overseas while giving a credit to companies moving back to the U.S.
• Corporations can write off punitive damages (levied by us, the public) as an “ordinary and necessary” business expense. Exxon’s $1.1 billion Alaskan oil spill settlement actually cost Exxon only $524 million after taxes. We — the taxpayers — paid the rest. President Obama proposes to eliminate this loophole.
Claim: President Obama “means to allow unlimited numbers of illegals to become voters …”
Fact: President Obama’s immigration reform proposals are stringent. Of course, once someone becomes a citizen, he/she has earned the right to vote, the same process used by the vast majority of American families, only more difficult.
The four general immigration proposals include:
• Continuing to strengthen border security;
• Streamlining legal immigration to help foreign entrepreneurs, promising foreign graduate students and to reunite families;
• Requiring undocumented immigrants to pass background checks, pay taxes and a penalty, go to the back of the line, and learn English before becoming citizens;
• Providing employers with a reliable way to verify their workers are here legally.
Claim: 80 percent of the Farm Bill is used for supplemental nutrition, food stamps and WIC.
Fact: The Republican Congress recently separated the supplemental nutrition programs from the agricultural programs in the Farm Bill.
Claim: Was it really hunger that drove the needy in Louisiana to run up thousands of dollars on their EBT cards … to steal all they wanted?
Fact: Citizens receiving government food stamps can purchase goods using their EBT cards up to a set spending limit. One day last month, that limit disappeared at some Wal-Mart stores in Louisiana during a routine maintenance power outage.
According to a representative, Wal-Mart “ … made the decision to continue to accept EBT cards during the outage so that they could get food for their families.” Wal-Mart was “fully engaged and monitoring the transactions …”
So the question remains: Can the American community survive an ignorant, uncaring electorate?
- GOP can one-up Obama on immigration (stripes.com)
- President Obama: deporter-in-chief | Michael Paarlberg (theguardian.com)
- Deportation Nation: Yes, Obama Can Pull the Brakes (racefiles.com)
- Obama uncle deportation hearing is a teachable moment on immigration reform (thegrio.com)